April 25, 2012

Beware of Cheating Cashier When You Pay Your Bill

After a hard days work updating my online shop's catalogue, I decided to go out grocery shopping this evening. Went to Nxx at Kuchai Lama with my family after dinner. 

After happily selecting items to buy, my husband queued at the counter to pay while I went to a shop nearby to check out some things. When I returned, I saw my husband checking his wallet and looking a bit confused. He said that he was short of RM50 in his wallet and was checking the receipt amount. My husband is the type of person who likes to pay in cash the exact amount of money due. 

When I asked him to elaborate, he said that he passed several RM50 notes to the Bangladeshi man cashier and was searching for some loose change in his wallet to make up the total amount payable. Then the cashier told my husband that he gave him short of a RM50 note. My husband said he felt the cashier was behaving suspiciously but still gave him another RM50 note. After that, he stood aside to check the money left in his wallet to reconfirm the amount he should have in it. 

My husband is not the kind of person who makes up stories when it comes to money, so I took the receipt and went back to the counter he paid the bill at. Just so happen the cashier's supervisor was there so I loudly complained that my husband had paid more than the receipt amount to the cashier and to request for the money at the cash till to be tallied. If there was an extra RM50 note in it, that's the extra amount my husband paid.

The cashier was getting nervous and fidgeted when the supervisor informed me that she will check the CCTV recording at the control room. While we were walking away, the cashier suddenly made loud noises and pointed to the ground near him. When we looked, there was a piece of RM50 note lying on the floor next to him. He said that he missed seeing the RM50 when my husband passed him the cash. Funny thing was, I did not see any RM50 note on the floor before that. I just gave the cashier a hard look and looked at the supervisor meaningfully. 

How did that RM50 note mysteriously appear just when we were going to look for proof that the cashier was cheating and lying? I hope that the supervisor will look into this matter even though I did not lodge an official complaint on the cashier and to transfer him immediately to other positions which do not allow him to handle cash.

Please be very careful when you are making payments for your purchases especially if you are paying in cash. Doesn't matter which supermarket, hypermarket or mini-market you shop at.


Related Posts